Our workshop and studio offers a wide range of wood, with both local and international species available. Every species has a distinct cellular structure, resulting in unique physical properties and choosing a specific wood species can impart a unique character to your home so it’s essential to understand the differences before making a decision.
- Hardness: A hardness scale can help you understand each variety’s hardness and resistance, as well as which structures it suits.
- Stability: Environment, including humidity, can have a big effect on your wood, leading to expansion and contraction at certain times of year.
- Grain pattern: The decision to choose a wood species with pronounced natural grain patterns is subjective and varies based on individual taste. Have a think about whether you prefer natural and more random grain patterns, or something more uniform and plain.
- Natural Color: Every species has a different tone and shade, from light to dark and everything in between. Make sure the wood you choose complements your furnishings and your own tastes.
Grading is a method used to evaluate the appearance of wood and is determined by the presence of "character" markings or natural traits, as well as variation in color, mineral streaks, knots, or wormholes. Grades are not necessarily about quality, but about you and your home’s needs. For instance, some may prefer the uniformity of select grade, while others may lean towards a more rustic look that gives the floor character. It’s worth noting that wood with fewer character markings is often more expensive, as less of the tree is used to make it.SELECT AND BETTER:
exhibits very few imperfections or character markings. This grade is characterized by a uniform color with minimal knots or holes, and longer, similar length boards. Small, tight knots are permitted only every three feet.#1 COMMON:
wider range of light and dark colors on different boards and includes some knots and holes, as well as varying lengths.#2 COMMON:
much greater variations in color with visible mineral streaks, and more visible and larger knots and worm holes.EURO CHARACTER:
has a wider variation in both coloring and natural characteristics than its superior grade Select & Better. It’s a consistent mixture of the grades of Select & Better, #1 Common and #2 Common. This combination of wood cuts allows longer planks looking.
*Grades may vary by species.
Straight-laid hardwood floors remain very popular with our clientele. However there is a growing market for new layouts, including stylish herringbone and chevron styles. Whether you’re a trendsetting homeowner, a cutting-edge designer, or a forward-thinking architect, we offer a diverse range of options to suit your needs. Our team of experts will work with you to plan and install a pattern that perfectly complements your living space, adding a touch of contemporary sophistication to your home with whatever pattern you choose.
- MULTI-WIDTH PATTERN styles are typically installed with three different widths varieties, creating a low repeating pattern that adds diversity and movement to your floors. By selecting this flooring option, you can bring a sense of contemporary style and individuality to your living space.
- RANDOM PATTERN installations are an excellent choice for a more customized look that allows a choice when it comes to the ratio of wide and narrow boards. They offer a straight-forward, parallel design, but involve a mixture of boards with different widths. Adds movement and energy to your floor.
- 45 DEGREES OR DIAGONAL features an offset layout set on a 45-degree angle, either for tiles or planks. Due to the precision required to cut each board precisely, this design necessitates the skills of a highly experienced floor installer. Our team of professionals has the expertise needed to install this pattern to perfection, creating a stunning and distinctive look for your home’s interior.
- HERRINGBONE involves standard rectangular boards, all of which are the same size. Pre-cut pieces are angled at 90° on both ends to create a distinctive V-shaped pattern. The width of the herringbone is measured across the board’s top side, while the length is measured along the side, from corner to corner. This pattern adds a classic and sophisticated look to your home’s interior design, with its sleek and stylish appearance.
- CHEVRON features boards cut on both ends at a 45° angle and is measured from tip to tip on the same side, and other cut angles are also available upon request. With its sleek and contemporary style, this pattern adds a modern and chic look to your home’s interior. Our team of experts has the expertise and skill to install a chevron pattern with precision and care, delivering a stunning and visually captivating flooring solution for your space. Chevron installations are supplied as an equal quantity of left and right pieces, with a maximum width of 5 inches.
Finishing your new wood flooring…
Once your floor is ready for finishing, we’ll add one optional coat of stain and three coats of polyurethane in order to protect and preserve the natural beauty of the wood. We offer a range of customized colors for site-finished hardwood. Our team of expert advisors and professionals are here to provide you with personalized advice and guidance on the best color and finish for your home’s interior design. Visit our showroom to see the range of options available to you and take the first step towards achieving the floor of your dreams.
Staining helps to liven up the color of your hardwood floors and enhance their visual aesthetic. It’s worth noting, however, that each wood species absorbs stain differently. Some species stain evenly, enhancing the natural grain of the wood, while others may appear splotchy or uneven. It’s crucial to sample how the stain reacts to your specific wood before applying it to your entire floor. This will give you a better understanding of the end result and ensure that you achieve the desired color and finish for your space. Our team of professionals can guide you through the staining process, providing expert advice on the best stain color and application technique to achieve the perfect result for your home. Trust us to help you achieve the stunning and customized hardwood floor you’ve been dreaming of.